Updated: Jul 6, 2018
This week is Heart Week so we are talking all things heart health! Eating the right types of food is vital for sustained optimal function for the hardest working muscle in our body (i.e. our heart!). Think about it, the heart never gets a break, never really complains, and just goes about its day with rarely any complaints. Doesn’t it deserve some encouragement and respect? The answer is YES! And we believe that one of the biggest ways we can help our little heart along is with good nutrition.
Here are our top nutrition tips for maintaining healthy heart function:
1. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and wholegrains
2. Include a variety of healthy protein sources such as fish and seafood, lean meat and poultry, legumes, nuts and seeds in your diet.
3. Choose reduced fat dairy such as unflavoured milk, yoghurt and cheese.
4. Focus on healthy fat from nuts, seeds, avocados, olives and their oils for cooking.
5. Flavour foods with herbs and spices instead of adding salt.
6. Water is always the preferred beverage choice.
It is never too late to start eating healthier foods. Making a healthy swap once a week can be a great way to get started on your journey to a happier heart. This might be buying wholegrain bread instead of white bread; adding fruit to your cereal instead of sugar; swapping half the meat portion at dinner for an extra vegetable .etc.
Check out the Heart Foundation website for some great recipe inspiration: https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/recipes
Of course, we are all different and therefore have different nutritional needs, so seeing an Accredited Practicing Dietitian is important for finding out exactly what changes with be useful for you.